The planters frames were completed and then given three coats of general Finishes Exterior 450. I sealed the end grain of the legs with 2 part epoxy using West Systems Epoxy.
|Small planter without cladding|
|Large planter without cladding|
|Like any furniture job clamps and a workbench|
|Then I started to clad the outside with western|
red cedar tongue and groove boards. I fastened them
on with stainless steel 18G nails.
The final part of the construction was the mitred face frame around the top perimeter fixed with some stainless steel screws. I then cut some pond liner material to size and pushed it into the each box. I made slits in the bottom so excess water could drain out and then filled with compost. Once it was around 3/4 full I fitted some more red cedar cleats to hold the pond line in place and then trimmed off the excess. The boxes have considerable weight in them now so I was glad I had moved them into position before doing the last jobs.
Then all that remained was to plant up the boxes, install the self watering system and enjoy them. I hope you like them.
|Face frame fitted and a few plants installed|
|3 of the boxes in situ.|
The other box is somewhere else in the yard.